Sunday, December 11, 2016

Reflective Blog

December 11, 2016

Reflective Blog
     It is hard to believe it has been almost four months since I started this course. My first thought was; “I am already tech savvy; what can this course teach me”? Was I wrong or what.  If this is the introduction to technology, I cannot wait to see what I am going to learn in the next class. In this paper I will discuss some of what I have learn, what took me out of my comfort zone and the technology I will use as a teacher as well as in my personal life.
     The digital blog took me out of my comfort zone. I was not a big fan of social media to begin with. However, it did give me an opportunely to express my thoughts on a variety of topics from the textbook. One of my biggest problems with the blog is the use of images and videos. Most of the time, I spent as much time looking for an image or video to go with what I was writing about, as I did writing the blog. This became even more relevant and I became more cautious after using a copy right protected image. I did take it down; I did not want to get caught on this over site. Lesson learned.  However, I did enjoy doing the Discussion Post and the feedback. The discussion post is a place where research can be done and you can express your opinion and get feedback from other students. This is also a great place to get ideas from other students that you may be able to use in your classroom. Students sharing their experiences is another thing I enjoyed about the discussion post.
     Collaboration, team work on both assignments was an experience. As for the Wiki, I can honestly say; at first I had no idea what I was doing. Again, the professor has pulled me out of
my comfort zone. It was at this point I recalled the professor telling the class, that October 31 is the last day to drop the class.  Since I am not one to quit, I hit it head on with my fingers crossed.  Even though, this was a collective project, I felt that each student worked more individually then together. I kept going back to the sample and thought I had it all figured out; until it came to the resources. As I remember right, only one team member stepped up and helped me realize my resources went on the resource page not on the bottom of my paper. As I put my resource in, I realized no one had put them in alphabetical order, so I did it. For me this was hard, the work was not hard; understanding how to put it together was hard. The Collaborative lesson plan, this is one assignment I will not soon forget. After a few bumps in the road and one pot hole the lesson plan starting coming together. This was my second lesson plan but my first using technology. Technology adds interest to the subject and that is what students are looking for in the classroom. Talking with a 5th grade teacher recently, I found out just how important team work can be. I was told, because of state standards, at least once a month all of the teachers in each grade get together. In this school there are five, 5th grade classrooms. All five classes need to stay together; if one class falls behind, the others will need to hold-up until that class catches up. We talked in depth, on how teachers work together and help each other out. Teachers will work in teams throughout their career and at some point must be able to give and take constructive criticism.

     I have never be taught how to evaluate a website, until now. Learning how to evaluate a websites, is a tool I have come to use all the time. Developing a rubric to evaluate a website has opened me up to a whole new way of doing any type of search on the web. Now, when I look something up on the internet, the first thing I look at is the URL address. Once I pick a site, I do not start reading the information until I find the author/publisher, author/publisher credentials, date the site was created, when was it last updated, is there an e-mail or an address where I can get in touch with the author or publisher and where did the information come from. For me this assignment is priceless; and it will be just as priceless to my students. They will know how to evaluate a website before entering middle school.
     Creating the WebQuest was something I thoroughly enjoyed doing. I had the freedom to use my own ideas for the subject, design and the learning outcome. I wanted my students to be creative in their writing. I felt this could be done by the students pretending to travel back in time and be a pilgrim in, 1620. I had fun doing the WebQuest and I will definitely use this as a teacher.
     I cannot close without saying something about the e-Portfolio. This is another project I thoroughly enjoyed doing; after I figured out what I was doing (thanks to the professor). Filling out the page on “What I have accomplished” brought it all together. I sat back and looked at this page and said to myself “You have come a long way in technology”. But this would not have been possible without a good teacher who always had my back, always answered my e-mails and took her time to make a video to show me how (I am a visual learner).
     I am more aware today than ever before that technology is lagging behind in our schools as well as for some of our teachers. Technology is a train that is not going to stop or even slow down and as future teachers we will need to keep up. I am sure what I have learned in this class is just the tip of the iceberg. I do feel, I have more confidence to move forward with new technology. I cannot end this reflective paper without thanking Professor Marie Coleman for all of her help. I appreciate your help more than you know. This semester has been a challenge for me in more ways than one. While taking this class, I went through two back surgeries; I was expecting one but not two. The outcomes have been good. Although, at times it has been a challenge; but I have make it through both, with your help.
God’s speed,
Richard
                                                          "Associates Degree complete"

 https://pixabay.com/en/indian-institute-technology-169928/ 
https://pixabay.com/en/photos/seminar/
 https://pixabay.com/en/cap-college-education-school-312027/ 




1 comment:

  1. Love to read it,Waiting For More new Update and I Already Read your Recent Post its Great Thanks.
    website here

    ReplyDelete